Monday, 21 September 2009
- About 1/2 of the 86 responding librarians reported cutting budgets and almost 60% cutting staff.
- Digital and print resources cutbacks are widespread.
- Almost one-third intend to use just one of Lexis or Westlaw. (This is a significant change in practice for Law Librarians and it surely cant be long before it becomes more widespread)
- New software products now allow librarians to track online data usage. (These products include OneLog and Research Monitor)
- Several respondents had favorable comments about SharePoint as a sharing and distribution platform.
The article makes very interesting reading as do other blog post on this subject, they include:
According to this article from the Huffington Post "The Reinvention of Legal Research" these are wondorous times in the world of online publishing. The author of the article Peter Schwarz makes five points which are well considered in a blog post from the 3 Geeks and a Law Blog, they are;
- Data Trumps documents
- Information is liquid
- Information is a commodity
- Customers will not pay for research
- Large legal publishers are in trouble
The original article and the the post from the 3 Geeks and a Law Blog are well worth a quick read.
Friday, 18 September 2009
In the YouTube video below "Nathan" an engineer from the Google Books team talks about how Google books can be used and the agreement they've reached with publishers.
Monday, 7 September 2009
The Salary Survey 2009 is now available for download from the members' area of the BIALL website.
Follow the links from the Publications section to the members-only archive for this year's survey and for past years too, back to 2003.
Membership Services Committee
The launch of the new Supreme Court website should be of interest to all BIALL members. From the new website "The Supreme Court is the final court of appeal in the UK for civil cases. It hears appeals in criminal cases from England, Wales and Northern Ireland. It hears cases of the greatest publicor constitutional importance affecting the whole population"
Of course the Supreme Court doesn't officially "launch" until the 1st of October 2009 so until that time the website doesn't have a huge amount of information but it's still worth taking a sneak peek at!
Friday, 4 September 2009
With only a week to go until BIALL's 40th Birthday Party, the question everyone is asking is what to wear? Well if you're looking for some inspiration then we recommend the following sites;
From the look of some of the pictures available on the Web it could be a colourful night in more than one way!